[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 22:08:25 UTC 2007

On 17 Oct 2007, John Hearns spake thusly:
> Panasas - parallel, object-based filesystem. Runs on BSD hardware, over
> an iSCSI transport.

A hardware-specific filesystem?! Or is this not a proper filesystem (a
spec and/or sample implementation) but a `we sell you a box' sort of
deal? That hardly counts in my book :/

>                     The director blades take care of metadata serving,
> and also act as pretty good NFS and Samba servers should you have other
> boxes, ie. Unix boxes or Windows PCs wishing to access the data.

i.e. it inherits all the failures of those protocols? Or does it provide
some layer which maps the object-based data store to something
POSIX-like? (Complete POSIX compatibility would be nice: support for
cross-directory hardlinks and not violating the atomicity guarantees is
a must on any modern distributed FS, I'd say.)

> We  have Lustre deployments on site http://www.clusterfs.com/
> and are currently building Lustre for a big university.
> Lustre grew out of the same project as Panasas, and has the same concept

Did it? Lustre grew out of dissatisfaction with Coda (which grew out of
dissatisfaction with AFS)...

> Our Lustre build includes Linux-HA type failover of the metadata server
> (pull the plug, it keeps on going).

Cool! :)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk