[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Bernard Peek bernard.peek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 19:22:22 UTC 2007

Alain Williams wrote:
> So what do you think about my old Pink Floyd vynils, is it OK if I copy MP3s/CDs/...
> since I have bought the original LPs ? I am just making things more convenient for
> myself.
>
> The record companies don't like it, but 'morally' am I doing anything wrong ?

Interestingly enough that's pretty clearly a copyright violation.
Copying music from one format to another is creating what's called a
"derivative work" and it's similar to photocopying a book.

It's an interesting philosophical question whether copying an MP3 file
is theft, but it does depend entirely on how you define theft. You can
create internally consistent arguments based on whatever efinitions you
pick.

Yet another questionable simile is squatting. If I move into your house
and lock you out I'm not stealing anything. Neither am I stealing
anything. What's the crime?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk