[Gllug] Linux online banking yet again, especially with Konqueror

DL Neil GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 11:27:12 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 09:51 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>>HSBC's online business banking...
>
> I know. When I first tried to register for it (about 3 years ago) I
> failed for that reason. At the time I complained explaining to my branch
> manager that the system was horribly insecure and slow. She noted my
> complaint and reported it upstream.
>
> Early this year I had a meeting with a new business accounts manager at
> the branch and she explained they have a new system in place. Now
> authentication is 2 fold - a password and a 6 digit code generated by a
> keyfob which is valid for 1 minute.
>
> It works nicely and is platform independent - all I need is a browser
> that supports ssl.
>
> Jason

I opened a personal account with HSBC less than six months ago and was
startled to observe that their security is lesser than that used
'offshore'. When I asked about 2-factor authentication they said that it
was not available (mind you the teller was a trainee and quite
incompetent in other ways - use your wife's birthdate as a password...)

Are the fobs available to all or a feature of business accounts only?

The web site works happily within Firefox, and calls for a random
selection of three particular characters from the password to be entered
by mouse selection from an on-screen 'keyboard'.

Regards,
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk