[Gllug] NFS problem

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 23:58:09 UTC 2007

On 22 Oct 2007, John Hearns verbalised:
> At the risk of mentioning Panasas again (the scars from the last one are
> just healing), this is an advantage of object-based filesystems. Rather
> than your entire RAID-5 set being toast if there is a double error, only
> that one file which had a part on that disk is fenced off and made
> unavailable.

The same fix could be implemented by doing a ZFS and giving the
filesystem and RAID layer enough knowledge of each other that `partial
failure' becomes meaningful.

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk