[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 22:12:18 UTC 2007

On 17 Oct 2007, tethys at gmail.com outgrape:
> At first glance, the concept of per-user mounts would appear to solve
> that problem. However, that's been shot down in flames (legitimately,
> I might add) by Al Viro et al. I'm still not 100% convinced that
> private mounts can't be made to work,

What? We *have* per-user and private mounts. Al and others went to
enormous effort over many years to make them possible.

What we don't have is a secure way of mounting arbitrary filesystems
without risking that the owner of those filesystems or their mounter
might be able to gain root...

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk