[Gllug] Change the primary monitor for xorg and the console

Tom Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 20:21:59 UTC 2007

Chris Jones <cmsj <at> tenshu.net> writes:

> Potentially not - I'd try booting the latest daily gutsy livecd (or
> something else with a recent Xorg). the newer xrandr stuff is getting
> fairly good at working with laptops, so your laptop's button for
> switching between displays may well work automagically now (if not, file

Hmm. With Gutsy's recent Xorg it's proving impossible to get the resolution I
want: I'm down to 1440x900, and that's with a script in .kde/AutoStart to set
the resolutions with xrandr - not really what I want.

Out of curiosity, why is my laptop so sure that the missing LCD is connected?
The entire screen has been removed and the connector ... disconnected. I'm
never going to replace the LCD and I'd really love to know a simple way to
persuade the machine that damn well has no LCD connected and never will.

Perhaps some trickery with radeontools and registers; if there was some pins I
could disconnect inside the machine I'd do it.

----

Why am I making such a hash of this? How can I tell Xorg that there are two
monitors connected (or "connected"), one of them can do 1600x1200 and the other
can do 1680x1050, and I'd like to use the second, please?

Cheers,
Tom SW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk