[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps?

DL Neil GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 13:31:32 UTC 2007

Chris and Tom, thank you - it's a break from trying to teach myself Python...

> Tom Weissmann wrote:
>> Gimp will have no problem with /media/my-samba-server/files/edit-me.jpg
>> but will choke on smb:/my-samba-server/files/edit-me.jpg

=I tried this, but even as root user my /media directory contains only
a DVD (movie currently paused to perhaps resume over dinner tonight),
the floppy (no media), and reference to xmms_audio_cd (even though
nothing is loaded in the CD drive). Both Nautilus and GIMP show the
same.

=there is a /mnt directory which contains /mnt/fsg/us2 which is but
one of the shares on one of the SMB servers/shares around the network.
However that 'folder' is empty - which the actual share is not.

=is this a difference between SuSE and other distros, or do I need to
hit the books to learn about 'mount'?

> If you're running gnome and a sane distro you should have gimp compiled
> against gnome-vfs, which will allow you to open files from remote shares
> such as smb.

=OpenSuSE 10.1 (64 bit) on a test box disconnected from the Internet
but connected to the LAN. Gnome is v2.12.2. According to YaST,
gnome-vfs 1.0.5-840 is loaded. I have used Nautilus to access the
shares (and ensure it's not an 'enter the password' problem), but this
doesn't alter the (above) result.

=I have used the "Connect to Server" menu option (is this still
Nautilus?) to create a bunch of short-cuts on the desktop which point
to specific shares, eg downloads and backups; which also appear in the
Places > Network Places menu option. Using these works as expected
(calling for the password if not previously entered/after time-out).

>> KDE's smb4k application lets you mount and unmount samba shares, perhaps
>> there is a Gnome equivalent. Otherwise there's always smbmount.

=the SuSE docs appear to suggest that this is not necessary under
YaST's care and attention. Indeed each of the aforementioned desktop
icons/shortcuts gives Unmount as a context menu option, but none (even
those on machines not currently switched on) offer a Mount command.

> Nautilus is able to browse networks and "mount" devices, but it uses
> gnome-vfs.
>
> I'm sure there are gtk based apps which will call smbmount (presumably
> what smb4k does), but it's a fairly nasty solution. I'd rather browse it
> with nautilus and copy the file locally.

=my last resort, but it feels clunky, is untidy, and creates a
versioning issue - hmm why don't I chuck such files into Subversion
even if they are text docs, spreadsheets, etc, and pick up additional
versioning and 'control' benefits?

=Sorry, YaST is very user friendly, but when I step outside it there
is a firm impression that I've been shielded from the edge of a steep
cliff - my (Linux administration) ignorance is showing...
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk