[Gllug] Batch Text Replacement

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Oct 29 07:14:50 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 06:24 +0000, Henry Gilbert wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone knows of a Linux app that perform mass string replacement
> remotely? Possibly via ftp?
>
> If it can't be done remotely - then its OK I will download the files -
> perform the mass-replacement locally .. and then upload it all back
> again.

Errr... just mount the remote data via NFS or Samba.
You can VPN tunnel NFS if you have to.

Do your sed/awk/Perl on the mounted drive

Or just ssh  remote.machine my-sedawkperl.script  arguments
(Or rsh - but that will give everyone here the willies)

Or be a bit more creative and mount the remote drive via ssh
http://myy.helia.fi/~karte/mount_sshfs.html

> Just need to know what easy app can perform such feat - pretty easily.
sed/awk/Perl

I guess you are wanting to be all Web Services, SOAP, Web 2.0.
Remember there are tried and tested methods of running remote
applications.
Hell, you could install a batch scheduler on the remote system and
submit jobs to it to do the text replacement.

I guess that if you want to be Web Services then xml-rpc and SOAP are
your thing.
http://www.xmlrpc.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOAP

Just google "soap remote scripting"

And remember that people were running scripts on remote supercomputers
when Tim BL was running around in short trousers.

To frighten yourself, learn some JCL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_Control_Language
and have a look at a real, live Remote Job Entry workstation
http://www.chilton-computing.org.uk/ca/literature/annual_reports/p011.htm

And NO that is not me in the picture. Though it is so old that specs
like that have come back into fashion!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk