[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 00:09:07 UTC 2007

On 25 Oct 2007, Richard Jones stated:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 12:52:09PM +0100, Iain Conochie wrote:
>> When you buy a CD of music or a DVD movie, you buying the physical
>> medium, and you are recieving a *license* to use the music or movie on
>> terms specified by the copyright holder (hence the blurb about public
>> broadcasting on movies). At not point do you *own* the music or movie.
>
> Hmmm .. Perhaps in the wacky world that copyright lawyers for major
> music companies have created.  But it's important to realise that this
> is no way reflects the reality of physics.

The very concept of ownership is a human social construct with no
foundation in the reality of physics. These little magic tags that say
`I own that, you own this' don't actually exist outside human minds and
human constructs.

The problem with `intellectual property' is that most human minds don't
fundamentally see it as `property' at all, so the law is inevitably
doomed to failure in this area.

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk