[Gllug] Getting Apache2 to serve ~/public_html from MySQL table

Sun Oct 28 11:53:42 UTC 2007

I've got a box running Proftpd and Apache2. Proftpd uses a Mysql table to
get the user directories.

The pattern for them is:
/home/users/[groupname]/[username]/

I'd like to be able to do something like http://example.com/~[username], so
the groupname doesn't need to be supplied.

I've found this module, but it's for Apache1.3, and I'd rather not switch if
that's possible. More for the sake of simplicity (everything else I run has
Apache2 on it) than a reliance on anything peculiar to Apache2, though:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/mod_myuserdir/
I can't find similar for Apache2.

Any ideas?
I looked at adding a user with home directory /home/users, then
setting it to use that
as its public html directory, and then using mod_rewrite to make them
sensible. But that'd require the groupname.

Cheers!
--
/Avi :)