[Gllug] Combining SMB and NFS - was Embedded Linux & 1Gbps

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Oct 18 00:36:13 UTC 2007

On 17 Oct 2007, Tethys stated:

> Nix writes:
>
>>What? We *have* per-user and private mounts. Al and others went to
>>enormous effort over many years to make them possible.
>
> Really? I've been out of the loop for a while in that area, so I admit
> I'm not up to date. I wasn't aware that it had been sorted. Such is the
> rate of progress in Linux, I suppose...

Um, this stuff has been in the kernel for five to ten years (as long as
/proc/self/mounts has existed).

However, it's only really become usable with the submount changes in
kernel 2.6.1x and the mount userspace additions in util-linux (under
Karel Zak's maintainership now).

You can do all sorts of cool stuff with it now: per-user /home, per-
user individually-populated /bin instead of $PATH... all we need is
per-user bind mounts and the ability to drop this stuff for
setuid/setgid programs (to prevent people faking out things with a fake
/etc/passwd et al) and we'll be home free in Plan 9 land :)

(Per-user /tmp needs an X patch presently because of the X server socket
directory, though.)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk