[Gllug] Linux Certification Opinions or facts please?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Oct 19 12:29:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 09:51:58AM +0100, Ryan wrote:
> > I do not expect any qualification to substitute for experience.
>
> This was going to be my point - experience will almost always win over
> qualifications. As an employer[2] I've sifted through many applications
> that had "I'm currently studying for LPI" on them. Most of those were
> clearly just attempts to satisfy our requirement for Linux experience
> (e.g. they had no experience at all) but those who had experience and
> also were studying for LPI (oddly nobody has ever applied who actually
> *has* it).

I don't think everybody who takes the LPIC exams does so as a substitute
for experience; some people do it because they have experience but no
qualifications and want to address that.  Unfortunately, this is likely
to be counter-productive because of the negative attitude of so much of
the community.

I had a slightly different motive - I would have been angry with myself
if I had failed them but would have treated it as a useful pointer to
areas I needed to refresh.  Having passed, I did not mention this on my
C.V.  when I subsequently changed jobs, because I expected people either
not to care or to be actively hostile.  I do find this depressing,
though.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.