[Gllug] Cheap Linux PC, I'll get me coat

DL Neil GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 15:34:12 UTC 2007

Quoting Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>:
> BTW: what would people recommend as a UTP providing broadband modem
> these days ?
> Many of them have management interfaces that *really* suck!

What do you criticise about the interfaces?

Not sure what you mean by "UTP providing". Do you mean a single RJ-45
connector or do you want built-in switch/gateway hardware?

For home use I have been a fan of Linksys for some time (much
experience in other countries, so tend to avoid 'local' brands). In
theory the gear is good, as the 'retail arm' of Cisco, but this may be
more true in marketing than in product development.

Mostly my enthusiasm comes from the odd occasion when I have had to
make a call. They have always dealt with the matter (still required
patience to work through the script, and once again, reboot, try
changing that, reboot...) and replaced parts without question - on one
occasion I was fairly sure that it was something the ever-amazing
Bulldog did (not admit to doing to the line/exchange...) and so were
they, but even so they assumed the undiagnosed fault and honored the
warranty!

During the above silliness, I borrowed an old D-Link DSL-604+
(wireless modem router switch...). Now that does have an outdated,
clunky, and insecure 'web' interface! However I noticed that it offers
a lot more in the way of diagnostics, including the ability to check
out different levels of the link through to the exchange, a neat chart
of the frequency responses/bandwidth, etc - of course, still doesn't
help when the HellDesk wonk doesn't know what you are reading at
him/her... I don't know if newer D-Link devices offer similar.

In the UK Linksys was offering the ADSL2-capable AM-200 modem (or by
now, possibly AM-300) models; but pricing puts these single-function
modems' prices really close to those of multi-function devices!

Regards,
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk