[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 23:35:46 UTC 2007

--------

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>You seem hung on the idea that something physical has to be removed
>for theft to have occured: this is obviously bollocks.

>From the Theft Act 1968 (http://tinyurl.com/36kx57):

	"Basic definition of theft: A person is guilty of theft
	if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to
	another with the intention of permanently depriving the
	other of it."

Downloading software doesn't do that (depriving them of hypothetical
future income doesn't count). Now while I don't approve of copyright
infringement[1], just as I don't approve of theft, it's not hard to
see that they are different things.

Tet

[1] With some exceptions. The illegality of format shifting for
    personal use is blatantly ridiculous, and is an aspect of the
    law that I happily ignore with no moral qualms whatsoever.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk