[Gllug] Copyright on email

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 10:52:36 UTC 2007

Hi Alain,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 10:41:03AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> Below is some spam that slipped through my filter.
>
> What is interesting is the copyright notice at the bottom of it.

Just because you are sent something in email does not mean that you
have to agree to the terms of it.  If they could prove that they
showed you the EULA first and you agreed to it before you got the
material then they might have an argument.  But since it was sent
unsolicited I believe you can do what you like with it, apart from
claim that it's yours.

For the same reason, email disclaimers are pointless.

Cheers,
Andy