[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Oct 25 10:33:00 UTC 2007

- Tethys wrote:
>> You appear to be asking "where's the harm in stealing stuff?".
>>

> I hate to sound like RMS here, but copyright infringement != theft,
> and it muddies the waters to talk about them as if they were the same
> thing. Personally, I see significant harm in both...

I did differentiate in my original post, however, my moral compass
doesn't see the difference.

Downloading a cracked game from the Internet deprives the software house
of income.
Downloading an MP3 from the Internet, rather than buying via iTunes, or
whatever, deprives the publisher of income.
You are playing games and listening to music you have not paid for.

Taking stuff out of shops without paying for it is stealing.  Why should
the medium by which stuff is taken magically turn "theft" into
"copyright infringement" ?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk