[Gllug] Uh oh, ministers consider "anti file-sharing laws"

Panos Savvas pasavvas.accounts at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:29:18 UTC 2007

The analogy:

copying an mp3 is not theft, but it does produce a cost in the same way that
if I instantiate an object in application memory it has a cost to the
application server (the class is still available to the application - aka
music distributor). essentially p2p file sharing is like giving the user the
API to your application and therefore has a measurable costs. however giving
users access to an API can be a profitable business model. :)

is the music/film industry going to provide MAS (media as a service) rather
than remain a product based entity. plenty of dosh can be drawn from
advertising merchandise, live shows, cinemas etc, so why is this not a more
up to date way of working? economic and commercial systems always adapt
eventually. as do programming paradigms :)