[Gllug] Where/how to look for a job?

Thu Oct 18 21:44:32 UTC 2007

Morning all!

I'm about to start looking for my first computer-related job, and I'd rather like it to be Linux based.

My small problem is a lack of real-world experience. I've got no qualifications or real work experience (except shadowing helpdesk people for two days) in the field, aside from running small hobby servers for people.

Essentially, I know enough about running computers to know that I shouldn't be left to my own devices to do it, but I'd very much like to be exposed to it in the real world, as a chance to learn how to do it. I'm very willing to learn, but there's only so much you can get out of running personal homepages for people.
The role I'm therefore going for is essentially the lowest of the IT department staff - the person that does the routine, mundane work that it's not worth paying someone better qualified to do, like making tea. Though, hopefully, one that pays enough for me to be able to live. Speaking of which, what kind of money should/would I be looking at?

Where's best to look for these jobs? What're they commonly advertised as? I've been searching with the terms 'junior' and/or 'technician'.

I've got a draft CV uploaded at http://lordandmaker.co.uk/Avi_Greenbury.pdf though it's in a near-constant state of change.

Any comments/criticisms?

--
/Avi :)