[Gllug] Broadband Fair Use Policy

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 19:48:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 10:44 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:

> Frankly to call something unlimited while imposing any find of FUP is
> simply dishonest in my view.

You should try telling Virgin Media that!  They are the most useless
bunch of incompetents, and cannot ever provide the services they
advertise.  They persist in advertising "unlimited" though fail to
mention in their literature that they have massive contention ratios,
serious under capacity, poor bandwidth and an "acceptable use policy"
that makes their "service" virtually unusable - when it works!

Unfortunately, they took over our 'phone line some years ago (when they
were Telewest), and now steadfastly refuse to release it back to BT,
despite the threat of legal action.  I called OFCOM, and they said that
they were aware of the problem, but were so inundated with complaints
that they wouldn't be able to consider our case for some months, if at
all.

BT want outrageous amounts of money to reconnect our premises despite
there being spare capacity actually in the building!  I'm becoming
increasingly disillusioned with the state of telecommunications in this
country, and when my Finnish and Swedish friends brag about their 100 Mb
connections, I know that we're all being robbed for inadequate service.

Anyone got any useful suggestions?

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk