[Gllug] gnu-linux-friendly ISPs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 18:16:34 UTC 2007

On Mon 01 Oct, Don Williams wrote:

> Hi people - my ISP is making noises about offering me a freebie router
> if I upgrade to a cheaper service which may offer its "voice over
> broadband" in the not-too-distant future.
> 	I suspect motives: will there be a barring by this ISP of my intended
> use of VOIP in that future?
> 	If I feel I must move to another ISP (in all respects my current
> provider is very efficient) which, in members' opinions, is the
> preferred or best-rated ISP for efficiency, support of open systems
> (particularly Linux) and cost-effectiveness?
> 	I currently have and use an additional address at Ippimail.
>
> 	Don Williams

   I am also trying to analyse their motives. The offer to reduce my charges
to that paid by new customers was delayed until it contained the whole
period specified by BT during which my local exchange should be updated to
the "21st Century Network" ADSL2+ 24Mbps, with perhaps integrated phone and
IP services.
   Demon have considered LLU, which may result in an additional charge if I
decide to move.
   Thus are a legitimate telco, so could provide their own network backbone
connections if they choose.
   I am in west London, not far from a large BT building in Ealing and a
Thus building in Park Royal, with fibres installed by about 10 organisations
going past my house (even some going along the sewer below my garden).
   I would prefer to retain my home phone number, but have started making
provisions to change my email address, although contacting all my old
friends and relatives that know my address will be difficult.

Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk