[Gllug] Pop-up reminder software

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 19:33:14 UTC 2007

Aplogies that I don't have a linux box available,  but I tried the following on
a Unix (SCO)  - please don't say UGH  -  and it works:

1) With a X graphical display running on one virtual console I note with 'who'
that root is logged in to /dev/ttyp0.

2) the command ' echo  "the cat sat on the mat" > /dev/ttyp0 '
results in a panel opening in the graphical display with the message
'the cat sat on the mat' displayed therein.    The panel can then be clicked
closed in the usual way.

This may well work in Linux as well, in which case you can use the 'at' command
to schedule an appropriate script at the required date time.

By the way,  I noticed that if a second message is sent via this method it is
appended to the first resulting in a new panel opening with containing both
messages.  If the echo command was re-stated as:
echo "\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\nthe cat sat on the mat" > /dev/ttyp0
then the previous messages was effectively 'scrolled out' of the panel!

Hope this is of some help.    Try it and see what happens.
If it doesn't work you have only wasted about 30 seconds  :-)

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk