[Gllug] BT "21st century network"

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 09:46:25 UTC 2007

Hello,
   I have just been looking for any new information at the www.btplc.com
website. It tells me very little apart from their plan to upgrade my phone
line within the next 12 months. It says it should not stop my current
analogue phones from working, but not whether I will soon be able to use
digital-only phones and should avoid the purchase of analogue equipment.
   I could set up an Asterisk system, but should I wait for a new series of
line interface cards or just investigate VOIP? I like the idea that my phone
will still work after a total local power loss, but that seems to be a lower
priority with the advent of mobile phones (but try getting a mobile phone to
connect when there is a large local public event or a full emergency such as
local flooding. I have been to previous events such as the Open Golf where a
temporary mobile mast was used to connect many thousands of mobile phones to
the very few outgoing lines).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk