[Gllug] RAID1 during Ubuntu Install

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 10:23:17 UTC 2007

Hello,

Splendid though the standard ubuntu installer / livecd is for default
installations, I am trying to do something that the installer appears
to want to forbid.

The machine in question has two SATA 200G disks, and is being built as
a workstation.  All I want to do is present the two disks as a
software RAID1 LUN, and then carve them up accordingly.

Under Debian or Centos this is trivial.  Under Ubuntu the installer
tool doesn't have an option for a partition to be used as anything
other than swap or filesystem.

Not a problem, thought I, I will simply create the software RAID
manually.  I installed mdadm, created two identical logical
partitions, and a RAID1 /dev/md0.  I waited (probably unnecessarily)
for mdstat to show the resync had finished, and tried again.

The installer didn't see the partition.

I created a filesystem on md0 and tried again.

The installer didn't do anything other than see both drives
individually, with my filesytem on it.

I'm stuck - I can think of ways to hack around this, but perhaps I'm
missing some --actually-i-know-what-i'm-doing mode?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk