[Gllug] Awk and filenames with spaces in them

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Mon Sep 24 15:26:44 UTC 2007

On 24/09/2007, - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Give us a bit more info. What does your awk script do? What does it
> look like? What does the data look like? How are you invoking awk?

It's parsing an FTP log file.

I have my bash script calculate the total number of bytes transferred
for any given user, but this depends on the bytes field being in one
particular position as the value is extracted by awk and put into a
variable.  If the filename has spaces, the field position changes and
the byte size calculation goes out the window.

Regards,

Martyn
Email  : martyn at drake.org.uk
Phone  : +44 (0)7866 450 752