[Gllug] LLU / ADSL

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 11:19:25 UTC 2007

Is it true that even if your telephone exchange is LLU, you still need
a BT line (and monthly line rental) to get ADSL from a non BT LLU
supplier?

This is what BeThere just told me.

I'm wondering if the line rental is thus effectively the charge for
the copper from the exchange to the house.  Using an LLU supplier
means they deal with the network from the exchange to the rest of the
world, but they don't want to deal with the "last mile", thus I must
rent that from BT regardless.  True?

(Dull, all-to-common story of) Background:

Moving to a house currently without a BT line, so say BT.  Plenty of
neighbours with BT lines, so I conclude previous cable installation
snipped the BT line away.

Struggling to get BT to arrange a visit to connect the wires.  Hours
on hold to be told they'll call me back, and thus far haven't.  We're
not talking a remote location here either.  (~1620 ft as the crow
flies to the exchange, ~3000 ft if you walk the road)

So I thought LLU might be a way to escape BT altogether?

fwiw, I'm rejecting Virgin cable because my experiences are their
internet service is slow and patchy and does my blood pressure no
good.  I really like/want the service from UKFSN, I'm just struggling
with the BT up-stream dependency atm.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk