[Gllug] Crashing server diagnostics - Resolved

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Sep 14 11:57:49 UTC 2007

Andy Farnsworth wrote:

>> Karanbir Singh wrote:

>>> this rings a bell somewhere...
>>>
>>> what version of asterisk and what kernel are you using ? I recall there was a
>>> zaptel driver issue in the 4.3 / 4.2 days. Also what sort of i/o subsys do you
>>> have there ?
>>>

>> Asterisk version is from Trixbox v2.2 install CD.  Fairly recent, but
>> not positive which version and my machine is currently running memtest
>> so I cannot check it right now.
>>
>> The box is running 2.5 Gb RAM, an Athlon XP running at 1.6 Ghz, a brand
>> new Seagate 500 Gb SATA HD.  Interestingly, I have never been conscious
>> of the bandwidth available to the various caches and memtest is showing
>> the following for this fairly old system:
>>
>> L1 Cache: 128k 10209MB/s
>> L2 Cache: 256k  3250MB/s
>> Memory: 2560M 1015MB/s
>>
>> This seems to indicate that on the Athlon XP platform, you have a
>> Gigabye of bandwidth to RAM, 3 Gigabyte bandwidth to the L2 Cache and 10
>> Gigabytes of bandwidth to the L1 cache.  Since PCI (32 bit/ 33 Mhz)
>> gives you about a Gigabit of bandwidth total to the periferals, this is
>> fairly quick.  I might have to run this CD on my desktop machine which
>> is an Athlon 64 and see what it reports in the way of Memory bandwidth
>> there.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Well memtest86 reported a memory error on the box, I have reduced the
> RAM and I am rerunning the test.  Thanks for that suggestion.
>
> Just for completness I ran it on my 2Ghz Athlon 64 and got the following
> memory bandwidths:
>
> L1 Cache: 128k 16478MB/s
> L2 Cache: 256k  3926MB/s
> Memory: 2560M 2014MB/s
>
> Andrew

Just thought I would update this post with my final conclusions.

There were multiple symptoms and it appears there were multiple causes
which is what made this so difficult to diagnose.

Symptom:    Random Crashes, both under load and idle, no particular time
scale (minutes to days)
Cause:         Bad RAM - memtest86+ indicated it was at approximately
the 510Mb level
Solution:      Remove my 512 Mb stick of RAM leaving a matched pair of
1Gb sticks

Symptom:    Kernel Panic on shutdown / reboot
Cause:         Zaptel driver not releasing due to Asterisk not shutting
down prior to shutdown / reboot
Solution:      Shutdown Asterisk prior to reboot / shutdown

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk