[Gllug] Virus on Linux/Mac

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 21 09:18:31 UTC 2007

Surely though the whole thing about this thread is that it isn't
because virus writers don't focus on us, it's that the architecture
and in-built security features of linux make writing an effective
virus much more difficult - or am I missing the point?

Does anyone have a link to an article that isn't FUD or just 'Window
bashing' that talks about what vulnerabilities linux might potentially
have to virii, and what can be done to mitigate the problems?? I've
had a search and not come up with much...

Pete

On 21/09/2007, Peter Childs <peterachilds at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/09/2007, Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 14:37 +0100, Pete Stean wrote:
> > > You have to be careful here - I have a virus scanner on my linux
> > > system because I don't feel comfortable about forwarding on emails to
> > > windows users without one. I don't want to be a "carrier" so to speak
> > >
> > > Pete
> >
> > Why?  Windows users get what they deserve!
> >
> > C.
> >

> I'm not so sure, its perfectly possible to write a virus into a Openoffice
> macro and get it to cause trouble in both Windows, Linux and MacOS. Also
> could write it to infect Mozillia and effect Firefox, Thunderbird etc etc.
> might not be able to cause some types of problem but cause cause just as
> much havoc none the less. Linux is not imune to viruses its just we are not
> a primary target... yet.....
>
> Peter.
>
> --

'In letters of gold, on a snow-white kite, I will write "I Love You!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!'

RIP Billy M 1957-1997
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk