[Gllug] Virus on Linux/Mac

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Sep 20 11:46:07 UTC 2007

I read today's technology guardian is pushing the old M$ excuse about virus. See:

	http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/sep/20/guardianweeklytechnologysection.spam

If what they said upsets you, as it did me, you may want to write in.

What I wrote is below, please use your own words:

****************
I read, today's technology Guardian front page, that:

	Macs and Linux systems remain relatively untroubled [from virus] because if you're after money,
	you go where the most users are. And that's Windows.

That is not true, that is the point of view peddled by Microsoft as an attempt to excuse
their inability to produce a secure operating system.

Mac and Linux systems are based on the Unix model, they are inherently resilient to
things like a virus. I have been using Unix (and now Linux) machines for my desktop for
25 years. I do not use a virus filter, I open whatever mail I feel like, I have never
had a problem.

Unix systems employ a clear distinction between data and code, you need to take explicit
action to run a program. If a user were to be conned into running malware the effect
would be limited since personal logins do not permit any update to the operating system.

Anti virus people talk about the Linux virus, but won't come up with real examples that
have caused problems; they don't want to, to admit that there are none in the wild would
hurt their Linux business model - that of FUD.

Address: Parliament Hill Computers Ltd; PO Box 55; Watford; WD25 7BW

(Note that the guardian wants an address & phone # if they are to publish)

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk