[Gllug] Virus on Linux/Mac

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Sep 21 16:06:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 16:52 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> I don't see that restricting who can do direct SMTP stops the internet
> 'working'.    I would imagien that the vast bulk of genuine email emanates
> from static IP addresses anyway.  Conversely I bet that most of the crap
> emanates from dynamic IP addresses.

The moment ISPs start requiring pre-registration to be able to use 1
protocol they will be required to do it for others - particularly
including those commonly used for "piracy".

ISPs tend not to interfere with customer connections for a number of
reasons. Firstly it's expensive and a lot of bother. Secondly doing so
opens the possibility that the ISP will no longer be considered a
carrier and then held accountable for the content of traffic. Lastly
it's commercial suicide.

Customers just do not want their connections interfered with - I know
that from the number of queries we have about this.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk