[Gllug] RAID on LVM - heracy?

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Fri Sep 28 16:17:26 UTC 2007

I've been using LVM for a while both on plain disks and on raided setups
both software and hardware.

But consider this. If I had a collection of disks, none really suitably
large or equal-ish in size for raid by themselves,  would it be valid to
group some of them together as for example - LV1 and some others
together as LV2  and so on and then run soft raid over the top?

Could you even run LVM over the resultant volume to retain the
flexibility of resizing file systems....

Or is this a really stupid notion and I should quietly slip away into a
corner somewhere and forget all about it.....

Ken

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk