[Gllug] Virus on Linux/Mac

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Sep 23 12:07:47 UTC 2007

On 22 Sep 2007, Christopher Hunter stated:
> It's trivial to circumvent Windows broken "permissions" system - there
> have been viruses since before 2000 that give themselves escalated
> privilege with the NT kernel!

... by means of local exploits. These exist on Linux boxes too.

(What's different with Windows is that they don't fix them very fast,
that they're a monoculture, and also that some of the exploits are
design flaws in major APIs like WM_TIMER dispatch, which are very hard
to fix without breaking huge numbers of apps yet which just about
anything which can send a message can use to get LOCAL SYSTEM
privilege...)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk