[Gllug] No Expo this year

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 00:52:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 12:24 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

>    I am quite happy to do what I can to promote Open Source. I am often
> found helping out at a wholesale company owned by friends who import and
> distribute computer parts, and am well known for talking about Debian and
> Linux to "computer professionals", many of whom have never heard of Open
> Source.

Funny you should say that - I've just been in the wilds of western Crete
for a week or so, and was "volunteered" by my wife to help out a friend
with a virused Windows laptop.  The owner of this afflicted box hadn't
heard anything about FOSS and wasn't really interested in finding out
anything about it.

Luckily I had brought my laptop with a couple of distro images on one of
the drives (Knoppix and Ubuntu), so recovering his "vital" data didn't
take too long.  I also burnt an Ubuntu disc and suggested he gave it a
try...

This lead to innumerable discs being burnt in a local internet cafe and
a mini installfest in a taverna!

Sometimes a brief demonstration is all it takes!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk