[Gllug] Virus on Linux/Mac

Pete Stean peteste at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:33:36 UTC 2007

so you'd get a terminal popping up, unrequested, asking for your root
password?   I wouldn't be typing in my root password if that happened
- I'd be running away from my machine thinking it had a ghost  :\  lol

I have to admit though, I've installed Ubuntu on a few users machines
who would input the password without thinking, and not consider which
program suddenly required root access when they hadn't explicitly done
anything...

Pete

On 21/09/2007, Chris Jones <cmsj at tenshu.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Jason Clifford wrote:
> > Nothing new about that. Trojans are possible on every platform however
> > one with any decent level of privilege separation does mean that only
> > the users own files (and those he has write privileges to) are affected
> > rather than the system as a whole.
>
> Except that the universal weak point of any system is the users.
> I guarantee you that if a trojan was aimed at the millions of Ubuntu
> users and re-exec'd itself via gksu, a good number would blithely type
> in their password and grant full privileges.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Chris Jones
>  cmsj at tenshu.net
>   www.tenshu.net
> --

'In letters of gold, on a snow-white kite, I will write "I Love You!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!'

RIP Billy M 1957-1997
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk