[Gllug] SIGSEGV error

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Sep 1 16:00:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 11:35:46AM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> I am not willy-waving in favour of one laguage over another - 'cos I don't have
> any experience of anything other than Cobol and C  (both used by necessity,
> although I have to confess I find Cobol much easier to use than C !).
>
> But what language(s) would you recommend in place of C  ?
> (which have reasonable execution speed and dont gobble huge amounts of
> memory :-)  )

OCaml, SML (MLton compiler) -- both have solid compilers, small &
efficient at runtime, and large libraries.

Haskell (but it _does_ suck gobs of memory, and the obsessive purity
does make it considerably harder to use than it needs to be).

Common LISP?  (Unfortunately the good LISP compilers are all
commercial, and the language itself is truly strange[*]).

Rich.

[*] I wrote a FORTH interpreter from scratch last weekend for kicks --
that really _is_ a strange language.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat