[Gllug] No Expo this year

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Sep 5 16:10:31 UTC 2007

John Hearns wrote:
>>> http://www.linuxconf.eu/2007/
>> did you look at the price tag for this event ?
>
> 120 UKP early bird rate for UKUUG members (this encourages people to
> join UKUUG).

I wasent aware that the event was a promotion deal for UKUUG...

> Not out of line with any similar UKUUG meeting I have been to.
> 180 UKP if registering on the day - pretty reasonable for a 3 day
> conference.

or 240 UKP for non members. Unless you live in the area, most people would have
needed accommodation over that as well. Also, it was quite strange that you cant
register and attend only 1 day of the event.

If you look at the state of things at the moment, traction in the linux
community comes from two very different angles. The corporate users and
developers who are paid to code / use these technologies. And the the other is
the academic and enthusiast community, one set of people that this linuxconf.eu
affair was clearly not targeted at.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk