[Gllug] Goodbye SCO

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Sat Sep 15 18:54:52 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 12:35 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 12:05 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > > In case anyone hasn't noticed SCO have filed for bankruptcy.
>
> > Actually, they haven't: they've filed for protection from bankruptcy
>
> Point taken however C11 is only protection if there is a way out of
> bankruptcy and if Novell is owed $20million and SCO has only $14million
> with other debts there is no way out for SCO unless Novell back off -
> Novell having so far shown every sign of wanting blood.

Regardless of the downsides of this (the Chap 11) I think the big big
positive is that the first company to attempt to destroy the Linux
kernel project is now a shell, the kernel and the wider free software
project has won powerful and wealthy supporters (eg look at the way IBM
are now also supporting ooo).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk