[Gllug] Virus on Linux/Mac

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Fri Sep 21 13:50:52 UTC 2007

Hi

Jason Clifford wrote:
> Yes but it only pops up when you do something which needs elevated
> privileges so if you see it other than at a time you have requested an
> action that justifies it you can know to just click cancel.

If you're a regular joe and your computer says "I need your password to
do <some plausible thing>" how are you going to know?

The root/user split only makes sense in a world where root is clueful
(which has traditionally been the case with UNIX, but isn't true on the
desktop).

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones