[Gllug] DNS in local network

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 14:48:18 UTC 2008

Hello,
   I am running Debian Etch on several boxes here, with a local BIND9 DNS
server to serve the network. A while ago I noticed after an update that I
could no longer ping or connect to any boxname unless I entered
boxname.domainname and a re-boot made no difference.
   I thought this may be because my local network was called localdomain. I
read that avahi-daemon could exit if it objected to a network name such as
"local" and that localdomain was causing a problem, so I changed the name of
my local network and edited every file I could find in /etc that contained
any hint of a local domain name. I thought that the new data would be read
with a re-boot, but the problem remained. Even the master DNS server still
does not find other local boxes unless I add the new domain name.
   I used a GUI network configuration tool on one box which gave the correct
result, I could then use just the boxname within the local network.
   I then checked all the files in /etc that had been re-saved, but found no
actual changes. So what step did I miss that can be done from the command
line, without a GUI?

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk