[Gllug] Security from scratch or just stick with Astaro?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Apr 12 22:40:15 UTC 2008

On 11 Apr 2008, Justin Perreault outgrape:

> On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 07:53 +0100, Nix wrote:
>> I'm doing it with UML and bridged tun/tap network interfaces. The host
>> doesn't have an IP address on its ADSL network interface, but just spies
>> on it with snort :)
>
> I was figuring that it should be able to work like this some way. I will
> delve more into it and see what I can manage.

I wrote something about it on this list, oh, years ago:
<http://lists.gllug.org.uk/pipermail/gllug/2003-November/040284.html>.
It's hardly changed since then.

> As much as I try to be a bit paranoid about my connection to the
> internet I recognise that being human I will make mistakes that can open
> me up to threats. At the end of the day, I still have an internet
> connection and thus must be willing to accept that there is potential
> for abuse of my systems.

Yep :/// that's the downside of general-purpose computers, especially if
they're programmed in a language as insecure as C.

> Good thing I am an optimist. :)

`Even optimists die in the end.'

--
`The rest is a tale of post and counter-post.' --- Ian Rawlings
                                                   describes USENET
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk