[Gllug] Trips or traps? A single home partition shared between 2 distributions

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 23:34:21 UTC 2008

--------

"M.Blackmore" writes:

>What gotchas can getcha if one has a single home partition and a couple
>of different distributions (used for different things - don't ask) on
>different partitions?

The only one I can think of is that you need to ensure your UIDs are
the same on each distribution. John mentioned config files from different
versions of the same application, but I think that's mostly a red herring,
as if it really matters, the config files tend to be versioned anyway to
prevent it being an issue (see GIMP, for example). Having run a shared
home directory across numerous distributions for over 10 years now[1],
I can assure you that it works just fine.

Tet

[1] Although in my case, mostly via NFS rather than rebooting into a
    different distribution and mounting the same local filesystem.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk