[Gllug] Designing a fairly simple website

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Apr 15 08:47:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:40 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>    I am trying to set up a fairly simple website with about 10 pages, all
> mainly plain text with a quick-click index frame on the left, and a page to
> collect a few lines of data input submitted by visitors, probably to be
> emailed to me rather than saved on the homepages provided by my ISP. It
> would be nice to add a little background colour tint, but that is not vital.
>    I have done plenty of DTP on my old Acorn RiscPC, but not including HTML,
> so decided to try to create the website using Linux. I have spent several
> days trying to use Quanta, but the documentation does not make everything
> obvious, I do not find it intuitive, and keep getting the impression that I
> would be better to spend the time reading an HTML (or PHP or similar?)
> textbook and doing the editing using a plain text editor. Is it just my
> inexperience?

I'd say that your requirement doesn't really justify using a tool like
quanta however if you do want an easy to use html editor try nvu. It
doesn't produce perfect HTML but it's certainly good enough and it
works.

Still vi does the job once you've learned a small number of easy to
remember html markup tags.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk