[Gllug] Help!! XP CD copying problem to change linux partitions - what tools to use to copy a failing install CD?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Mon Apr 28 12:26:00 UTC 2008

Thanks Tim, tet, nix everyone - I successfully used dd to run a couple
of working install CDs from the one that was left that was useable for
the dell laptops, so now have some backups. Been offline for a few days
as ubuntu 8.04 upgrade did something to my laptop video card - couldn't
even get a terminal screen using alt-ctrl-f... too ignorant to figure
out from a knoppix boot what setup file had been altered how so
installed Linux Mint I'd been meaning to try out on another spare
partition and transferred home onto its own dedicated partion, which I'd
been meaning to do for ages. Linux Mint seems very nice, does all the
media stuff without fiddling around installing codecs and whatever from
wherever around the web (the version that was on the magazine last month
only did the lite version which didn't automatically include all these
copyright and patent ridden things).

Whats nice is that these dell cds seem indistinguishable from ordinary
xp pro, just add relevant drivers for the computer at hand, and the
install doesn't nag for serial numbers, so I don't have to open and
register the couple or three of XP packages I got when they first came
out and then never used for 5 years or so!

I'll hold onto them for any newer faster computers we get, not worth
using up on 1ghz or so old kit!

Many thanks
Malcolm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk