[Gllug] Security from scratch or just stick with Astaro?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 08:16:57 UTC 2008

On Mon 07 Apr, Justin Perreault wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 22:06 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    I would definitely agree with the advice not to use a virtual machine.
>
> What advice not to use a virtual machine?
>
> I am thinking there is a message I have missed. :(
>
> -Justin

   I have not read through the IPCop website recently, but the advice was
always to keep it as simple as possible, keep the number of add-ons and
complications to a minimum. The IPCop User list often repeats the advice not
to use a virtual machine. You would be adding more layers of software which
might be susceptible to hacking, and it would then lead directly to a total
hack. Some people have tried, and the slightest problem can lead to
incorrect hardware such as ethernet cards being used.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk