[Gllug] USB Mobile Modem with Linux

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:57:32 UTC 2008

On 02/04/2008, Jonathan Patrick Davies <davies.jpatrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 April 2008 23:12:48 Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>  > On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 22:10 +0100, Hari Pillai wrote:
>
> > > I have a Vodafone USB mobile modem. The drivers supplied are for
>  > > windows xp/vista and MAC. Any ideas how I install it for Linux please?
>

> > Plug it in and see what it (output to console) says (I assume you've
>  > already tried this, though)
>

> One could also try doing "dmesg | tail" after plugging it in to say if the
>  kernel picks it up.

They are usb serial modems who appear in /dev/ttyUSB*

The issue is the fact that they have some CD formatted flash on them
containing the windows drivers. This needs to be 'switched off' for
the modem to work. Modern kernels know this and do it automatically.

The other issue is then knowing which number to dial. My Vodafone
modem dials *99***2#

Caroline
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk