[Gllug] Designing a fairly simple website

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 15 10:04:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 08:40:23 +0100 (BST) Chris Bell
<chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>    I am trying to set up a fairly simple website with about 10 pages,
> all mainly plain text with a quick-click index frame on the left, and
> a page to collect a few lines of data input submitted by visitors,
> probably to be emailed to me rather than saved on the homepages
> provided by my ISP. It would be nice to add a little background
> colour tint, but that is not vital. I have done plenty of DTP on my
> old Acorn RiscPC, but not including HTML, so decided to try to create
> the website using Linux. I have spent several days trying to use
> Quanta, but the documentation does not make everything obvious, I do
> not find it intuitive, and keep getting the impression that I would
> be better to spend the time reading an HTML (or PHP or similar?)
> textbook and doing the editing using a plain text editor. Is it just
> my inexperience?

I've just started using Bluefish, which is a simple HTML editor. I
wouldn't rave about it, but it's clear enough to use.

My one gripe is that it doesn't parse the HTML, so it's possible to
make silly mistakes. On the other hand, it's advantage over a text
editor is that it indents and aligns the display of the HTML, making it
easy to follow,

--
 All the best,
 John