[Gllug] [Not really OT, honestly] Forcing Vista to defrag properly

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 12:16:27 UTC 2008

John Winters wrote:
> At first glance this would seem to be an OT question, but it's very
> relevant to Linux.
> In order to shrink the Vista partition I need to get it to defrag
> thoroughly, but the Vista defragger seems to be even worse than the XP
> one.  It's bigger drawback is it won't tell you what the current state
> of the disk is - or at least, only very superficially.  With XP you
> could see the layout of free space and at least make a guess at what
> needed to be moved or removed.  Vista has gone all quiet and won't pass
> on this information.
>
> Anyone know of a good way to force Vista to do a complete defrag?  I'm
> on the point of firing up fdisk and blowing it away.

I have a friend in a similar position and I forwarded him the following
two links although I haven't had any feedback yet.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

Hth

Simon