[Gllug] Schools Software

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 08:38:36 UTC 2008

On Mon 07 Apr, Martin N Stevens wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:40:43AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> > Hello,
> >    I have often been told that schools use computers supplied under long
> > term comprehensive and very restrictive commercial contracts, that the
> > schools are not alowed to modify the hardware or software themselves, that
> > the curriculum requires Microsoft software, etc, etc.
> >    How much of this is ignorance, FUD, urban myth?
>

> Being a network manager in a school I can give you some details of what we run.
>

> Regards
>
> Martin Stevens

   That sounds like a fairly large school, and much more enlightened than
any I have heard about, which area is it in? I have only provided very brief
direct help for a couple of schools in north west London, and they give a
very different impression. A friend who has provided services to a large
number of schools in the same area over a number of years gives the
impression of almost complete chaos and ignorance, with more interest in the
annual budget.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk