[Gllug] Disappearing drive device (PATA)

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Apr 27 08:51:54 UTC 2008

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I have a box with the /boot partition on /dev/hda1 - the BIOS sees it
> and the grub menu, which lives there, comes up at boot time.
>
> But then the boot sequence reports /dev/hda1 cannot be found and that I
> should use fdisk on it. Fdisk cannot find it, indeed there appear to be
> no device nodes for any /dev/hda* devices at all.

Have you tried manually creating /dev/hda and /dev/hda1 and seeing
whether the device is then accessible?  This test would determine
whether the problem lies in the node creation or the access to the device.

# mknod /dev/hda b 3 0
# mknod /dev/hda1 b 3 1
# fdisk -l /dev/hda

or alternatively you should be able to do just:

# fdisk -l /dev/.static/dev/hda

Try that and let us know the results.

HTH
John