[Gllug] Security from scratch or just stick with Astaro?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sun Apr 13 15:09:32 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:58:28PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2008, John Edwards said:
> > Am I right in assuming that this is a hand-crafted solution rather
> > than an off-the-shelf system such as the Astaro firewall that the
> > original poster had used?
>
> This one happens to be, but I'd be astonished if nobody had a firewall
> UML image or VMWare image or something like that, or a distro or livecd
> that did such things. (I just haven't looked for one, because, well,
> I've already got one.)

Sounds like you're talking about something like Untangle which provides
firewall, virus scanner, vpn, web filter, spam checker, and god knows
what else into one easy to deploy image

  http://www.untangle.com/

I've not used it in production, but its trivial to install inside a
Xen or KVM virtual machine, as well as a physical host.

There's of other similar products / projects around too - Shorwall is a
classic project focusing on firewalling.

Dan.
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|