[Gllug] Security from scratch or just stick with Astaro?

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Fri Apr 11 14:05:16 UTC 2008

Thank you.

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 07:53 +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2008, Chris Bell spake thusly:
>
> > On Tue 08 Apr, Justin Perreault wrote:
> >> For the virtual machine I want to set up the system such that the host
> >> system does not pay attention to the traffic on the ethernet ports and
> >> only redirects them to what ever firewall I have set up. I have no need
> >> for the host to do any more than host/build virtual machines. Is this
> >> not possible?
>
> I'm doing it with UML and bridged tun/tap network interfaces. The host
> doesn't have an IP address on its ADSL network interface, but just spies
> on it with snort :)

I was figuring that it should be able to work like this some way. I will
delve more into it and see what I can manage.

As much as I try to be a bit paranoid about my connection to the
internet I recognise that being human I will make mistakes that can open
me up to threats. At the end of the day, I still have an internet
connection and thus must be willing to accept that there is potential
for abuse of my systems.

Good thing I am an optimist. :)

-Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk